Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fountains, sort of. . .

Well, today I only took eight pictures (that's how exciting my day was), but I bought this awesome cook book which is absolutely adorable!  I've already picked out a recipe for tomorrow and have my shopping list written out, so tomorrow I'll share pictures of my delicious Italian food!

But, for now, I'll just share some pictures of the fountains we went to today. . .

The first one we went to was the Fountain of the Moor (1575), in the Piazza Navona.  Supposedly, the Moor is the brother of Neptune (who is featured on a fountain on the other end of the Piazza).



The next fountain we wanted to go to was the Fountain of Four Rivers, in the center of the Piazza, but they were filming a movie, so we had to go to the Fountain of Neptune at the opposite end, second. . . this fountain was partially completed when the fountain of the Moor was done, but the statuary wasn't done until 1863.



Then we went back to the centeral Fountain of Four Rivers, which depicts the four "greattest" rivers from the "four" continents.  The Nile from Africa, the Danube from Europe, the Rio della Plata from the Americas (not the Amazon because of politics and territories), and the Ganges from Asia.





After the Piazza Navona fountains, we went towards the Pantheon, and stopped by the Fontana Libri, which was a 1926 revival fountain.  Designed to represent the 8th district of Rome, where it is located, it is a nice, small fountain, used quite often for drinking and washing.





The last fountain we went to today was the fountain in front of the Pantheon, the Fountain of the Piazza Rotunda, designed in 1575 as well.  Actually, the base of this fountain is the same shape as the bases of the fountain of the Moor and the fountain of Neptune.  Also, it was made in some ways to imitate the Fountain of the Four Rivers, with the obelisque on top.




Then we did Esther's version of sketching (really, drawing very accurate diagrams, plans, sections, elevations, etc., of places) for the rest of the morning.

Then, I went and bought my cook book!



Isn't it lovely?  I can't wait to try it out tomorrow, yumm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment