Monday, June 28, 2010

Vatican Muesum!


I decided to go to the Vatican Muesum on Saturday since I thought we were going to go on Friday, but then didn't. . . it was really great!

Here I am waiting in line to get tickets to the museum. . . I waited for about an hour. . .



When I finally got into the museum itself, it was amazing!



In order to go to the Sistine Chapel, you have to follow a set route which takes you through the map room. . .




through a hall with tons of tapestries (it was dark, but absolutely stunning!). . .



through some Greek stuff, and through the Raphael rooms, which were pretty much amazing!








 through modern religious art, and finally you get to the Sistine Chapel!  Of course, you're not allowed to take pictures of it. . . sorry!



Anyway, after you come out of the Sistine Chapel, you go through a room with some early Christian artifacts, and these old pieces of scripture were really lovely:



I also went through the carriage pavilion where I saw this guilded monster:



Then there was the picture gallery, which had the most beautiful paintings.  It was so interesting to see the different ways Biblical scenes were portrayed through the ages. . . most of them came out pretty dark, but with a little photoshop magic, I think they look pretty good!





You can slay a dragon for me any time, Clint!
XOXO



Also, I went through the Greek area (when you're going toward the Sistine Chapel, you only go through part of it). . .





And I went through the Egypt area as well. . .





I also went through the part about the Vatican City mail and money, but it was boring, so I didn't take any pictures. . . then I went through the Sistine Chapel again, and it was even better the second time!  Mostly because I found myself a spot on the bench and sat down and really looked at everything for as long as I wanted to!

This is me leaving the Vatican Museum (I forgot to turn the flash back on at first!)








The double spiral staircase was really neat, I think it was designed by Michelangelo, but don't quote me on that!  And the last is outside the walls of Vatican City. . . the end of my (first) museum trip in Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment