I have to admit, I think the second one turned out cuter than the first. I guess that's what happens when you have a little practice under your belt!
All you'd need is a blank onsie (of any colour), some embroidery floss (I used brown and green), and a needle.
I started with the middle seed, to make sure the design would be centered.
Then, to make sure my spacing would be even between all the seeds, I used my fingers to measure where the top of each seed would go in relation to the middle seed.
First the left. . .
Then the right. . . Notice how all the seeds are a little different? That's a product of being hand made without a pattern. I think it's part of the charm.
Once all the seeds and their roots were done, I switched to the green thread to do the progressive leaves.
The lettering is the most intimidating part for me. Especially the lowercase ones - they're just so curvy! Again, I started in the middle, to make sure it would all line up alright in the end.
I went toward the right, because that's how I write (like much of the english-writing world, I'm guessing). That way, too, I only had to cut the thread a minimum number of times.
Then I went back to the middle "a" and worked my way toward the left to make sure the spacing was correct as I went.
The finished product! I think it's pretty darn cute. I think next time I make one, though, I'm going to do the embroidery on a square of non-knitted material to combat the wrinkling effect the stitching has on it. Then, I'll just sew the whole square onto the onsie. I think it would look pretty cute on a contrasting coloured background. . . Maybe blue for boys or pink for girls. OR! Light green or brown to compliment the colour theme already established. Of course, plain white would work just as well. . . but with contrasting thread to really make the square an element of the design.
Anyway! I think I might have gotten a little carried away there! Hope you enjoyed the design!