Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday Threads - Embellished Onsie

I've had a design in my mind for a while that I thought would look just adorable on a simple white shirt or onsie for a baby.  So, when my nephew turned one earlier this year, I knew exactly what I was going to make for him.  Also, a friend of mine just had a baby shower, so I whipped up another one for her. 


I have to admit, I think the second one turned out cuter than the first. I guess that's what happens when you have a little practice under your belt!




All you'd need is a blank onsie (of any colour), some embroidery floss (I used brown and green), and a needle.


I started with the middle seed, to make sure the design would be centered.



Then, to make sure my spacing would be even between all the seeds, I used my fingers to measure where the top of each seed would go in relation to the middle seed.


First the left. . .


Then the right. . . Notice how all the seeds are a little different?  That's a product of being hand made without a pattern.  I think it's part of the charm.


Once all the seeds and their roots were done, I switched to the green thread to do the progressive leaves.


The lettering is the most intimidating part for me.  Especially the lowercase ones - they're just so curvy!  Again, I started in the middle, to make sure it would all line up alright in the end.


I went toward the right, because that's how I write (like much of the english-writing world, I'm guessing).  That way, too, I only had to cut the thread a minimum number of times.


Then I went back to the middle "a" and worked my way toward the left to make sure the spacing was correct as I went.


The finished product!  I think it's pretty darn cute.  I think next time I make one, though, I'm going to do the embroidery on a square of non-knitted material to combat the wrinkling effect the stitching has on it.  Then, I'll just sew the whole square onto the onsie.  I think it would look pretty cute on a contrasting coloured background. . . Maybe blue for boys or pink for girls.  OR!  Light green or brown to compliment the colour theme already established.  Of course, plain white would work just as well. . . but with contrasting thread to really make the square an element of the design.

Anyway!  I think I might have gotten a little carried away there!  Hope you enjoyed the design!

No comments:

Post a Comment